“Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future.” ~Audrey Hepburn

Sunday, July 25, 2010

LIfe Lately

Life lately has been boring and eventful at the same time! And as cliche as this sounds, my life has definitely been up and down. Good and bad. Sweets and sours. I'll just list a few of each.

I have had a lot of opportunities to go camping this summer. Was able to go to B.C. at Koocanusa Lake and despite the shady weather had a lot of fun! It was one of those experiences that you remember for a while because of the relationships you build with people. My second camping excursion was Girl's Camp. This time I was a leader and wow is it ever a difference! I love being a leader! It was really cool to see how the girls interacted with each other and to laugh with them. You notice soooo much more as a leader than just a participant. For example how much the girls actually look up to you! It is intimidating and really flattering. Hopefully I was a good enough example at camp for the girls. I know they were a big example to me and they all taught me so much. I was really impressed with how strong thier testimonies are, what trials they have already faced at such a young age, their unity-not one cat fight the whole camp, how much they are willing and happy to serve, how much they look out for eachother, creativity, and of course their energy! haha. There are a lot more attributes they have that I look up to...but I don't want to make the list too long. Bottom line is that I grew to love all the girls immensly in such a short amount of time and am very impressed by their strength, values, and light. The most recent camping trip is to Rumrunner Days. Or Thunder in the Valley. Whichever you want to call it, it was AWESOME! There were quite a few sours on this trip but altogether it was really fun. It was a whole group of friends that went and we tented it on the side of the road in the hills. We finally found the perfect spot and set up camp. This included pulling out the cooler with all the food and goodies! My friend Ashley, Brad, and I went grocery shopping before we left and packed a cooler full of food. We were only packing food for the first night, breakfast, and then snacks. We figured we would eat in town the rest of our meals. Unfortunatly Ashley and I overshopped. Fortunatly we did not eat in town and ate at our campsites for all of our meals. Unfortunatly all of our meals were hot dogs and someone put the hot dog buns in the cooler so they were just a soggy mess at the end of our second day. We went to the fair and rode The Zipper twice! Watched the parade, looked at all the sweet cars in the Show N' Shine, and I bought a soft bald eagle blanket. Yes I think this camping trip was a definite success. And to top off the trip we all watched an amazing firework show, which filled up the whole sky and echoed off the mountains surrounding us. There are always abundant amount of sweets when it comes to camping. The sour is that I miss a lof of work.

Other sweets is that people come vacationing to you instead! Yes Megan, Jared, and Logan I am talking about you. I loved having you guys up here even though it was only for a short period of time. We still had fun playing games, laughing, and listening to G.G. stories. More sweets is that come in August I get to go back down to Utah to visit my sister and her family, but also one of my very best friends for her wedding! It's already crazy that so many people are catching on to this engagement fever and happen to all be around my age, but it's a whole new level of crazy when you are close to the person who now has a ring on her finger. So crazy! So exciting! So....swour! Get it? Sweet and sour! hahaha.

Recent major sours is that I am frustrated with myself lately. Because I feel like I have been very picky lately or very easily irritated. Well enough is enough! That's right bitter-sounding-Danielle I'm coming for ya. Watch it. I think I just need to let my thinking go with the times a bit more. Let me clarify. Let's say I am getting really frustrated with someone and they are being difficult for a few days in a row. The problem is that after this phase, you realize that you still think they are difficult when they aren't. You're thinking has to go with the times.

Other major sours are that I'm getting sick yet again. And I have to get a root canal. Double whammy! Well...both can be healed and there is the sweet.

There are many sours, but there are even more sweets. I think I need to start up again what my roommate and I once did and that is listing your tender mercy of the day. That way I can focus on the sweets more than the sours.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Great post Dani. And not just we got our very own mention! :) I love hearing your stories. We had a fun time too. It was awesome hanging out with you and getting to know Mark better too. VERY excited to see you in August.

Colby said...

I agree with Megan, good stories and always fun! Keep writing, you're good at it! Wish I could have helped you with the root-canal! One day!